Steroids in Newborns and Infants: Identification of 24,25‐Dihydro‐Δ9(11)‐Lanosterol and 4α, 14α‐Dimethyl Substituted Sterols among the Esterified and Free Sterols in Human Meconium

Peter Eneroth, Jan‐Åke Gustafsson, Ernst Nyström

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

13 Scopus citations

Abstract

Lipid extracts of human meconium were separated by chromatography on silicic acid and lipophilic Sephadex. Trimethylsilyl ethers of sterols in the free and ester fractions were analyzed by gas chromatography‐mass spectrometry. Cholesterol and lathosterol made up 93% of the total sterols and were the predominating sterols in the unesterified fraction (relative abundance: 96%). The remaining 4% in this fraction consisted of lanosterol, 24,25‐dihydro‐Δ8‐lanosterol, 24,25‐dihydro‐Δ9‐lanosterol, 4α,14α‐dimethyl‐5α‐cholest‐7 (and 8)‐en‐3β‐ol, and Δ7‐ and Δ8‐methostenol. The sterol ester fraction contained 4,4‐dimethyl‐5α‐cholest‐8‐en‐3β‐ol, 4,4‐dimethyl‐5α‐cholest‐8,14‐dien‐3β‐ol, β‐sitostanol, cholesterol, lathoesterol, lanosterol, 24,25‐dihydro‐Δ8‐lanosterol, 4α,14α‐dimethyl‐5α‐cholest‐7(and 8)‐en‐3β, and Δ7‐ and Δ8‐methostenol. However, this fraction contained a smaller proportion of Δ7‐sterols than the free fraction. The percentage of cholesterol and lathosterol was also relatively smaller (75%) than in the free sterol fraction.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)456-464
Number of pages9
JournalEuropean Journal of Biochemistry
Volume11
Issue number3
DOIs
StatePublished - Dec 1969

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Biochemistry

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Steroids in Newborns and Infants: Identification of 24,25‐Dihydro‐Δ<sup>9(11)</sup>‐Lanosterol and 4α, 14α‐Dimethyl Substituted Sterols among the Esterified and Free Sterols in Human Meconium'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this