Phase II study of paclitaxel in combination with mitoxantrone and ifosfamide/mesna for patients with relapsed or refractory non-Hodgkin's lymphoma after failure to cytarabine/cisplatin combination

Jorge E. Romaguera, M. Alma Rodriguez, Fredrick B. Hagemeister, Peter McLaughlin, Jose Rodriguez, Alejandro Preti, Anas Younes, Andreas H. Sarris, Fernando Cabanillas

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

6 Scopus citations

Abstract

Purpose: Evaluate response, duration of response, and toxicity of paclitaxel in combination with other drugs known to be effective in non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL). Methods: Thirty-eight patients with relapsed/refractory NHL who had been exposed to doxorubicin as well as the cytarabine-cisplatin combinations received Mesna 1.33 gm/M2/D daily days 1, 2, 3 IV over 1 hour; ifosfamide 1.33 gm/M2/D daily days 1, 2, 3 IV over 1 hour (same bag); Novantrone 8 mg/M2/D IV day 1; and Taxol 27.5 mg/M2/D daily days 1, 2, 3, 4 by continuous 24-hour intravenous infusion. Premedication for Taxol included dexamethasone, diphenhydramine, and cimetidine on day 1. Results: Of 35 evaluable patients, 9 (26%) achieved a complete response and 7 (20%) a partial response for a total response rate of 46%. The median failure-free and overall survival times were 2 and 10 months, respectively. Major toxicity was hematologic with a median absolute neutrophil nadir of 196/mm3. Only 10% of the cycles were associated with a grade 3-4 infection. Conclusion: MINT is an active and safe regimen for relapsed/refractory NHL that have failed both an Adriamycin-containing regimen and a cytarabine/cisplatin-containing regimen.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)187-192
Number of pages6
JournalInvestigational New Drugs
Volume17
Issue number2
DOIs
StatePublished - 1999

Keywords

  • MINT chemotherapy
  • Paclitaxel
  • Relapsed NHL

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Molecular Medicine
  • Pharmacology

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Phase II study of paclitaxel in combination with mitoxantrone and ifosfamide/mesna for patients with relapsed or refractory non-Hodgkin's lymphoma after failure to cytarabine/cisplatin combination'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this