Diagnostic value of imprint cytology during image-guided core biopsy in improving breast health care

Shahla Masood, Dian Feng, Osman Tutuncuoglu, Gabor Fischer, Maryam Bakhshandeh, Roger L. Bertholf, David Wolfson

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

15 Scopus citations

Abstract

The aim of this study was to investigate the accuracy of imprint cytology (IC) of breast core biopsy under ultrasound guidance and to assess the value of a rapid on-site preliminary diagnosis of breast lesions. A total of 437 breast core needle biopsies under ultrasound guidance with touch imprint cytology, histology, and final diagnosis were reviewed. These cases were collected from archived files at our institution. Of 437 core biopsies, IC classified 241 (55%) as benign; 22 (5%) as probably benign; 28 (6%) as probably malignant; 107 (25%) as malignant; and 39 (9%) as inadequate for IC diagnosis. Histological classifications for the 437 cases were: 285 (65%) benign; 132 (30%) malignant; 16 (4%) atypical hyperplasia; and 4 (1%) inadequate specimen. The overall sensitivity and specificity indices of IC were 95% and 96%, respectively, for benign and probably benign lesions vs malignant and probably malignant breast lesions. The overall positive and negative predictive values were 91% and 97%, respectively. The overall accuracy was 95% (379 of 398 cases, excluding specimens inadequate for IC diagnosis). IC of ultrasound-guided core needle biopsy provides a rapid and reliable preliminary diagnosis for breast lesions; it also serves as a means to verify the adequacy of biopsy specimens and to optimize the biopsy procedure. Use of IC may reduce anxiety in patients with benign lesions and expedite the diagnosis and assessment of treatment options in patients with breast cancer.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)8-13
Number of pages6
JournalAnnals of clinical and laboratory science
Volume41
Issue number1
StatePublished - Sep 1 2011

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Microbiology
  • Immunology and Allergy
  • Pathology and Forensic Medicine
  • Immunology
  • Molecular Biology
  • Hematology
  • Clinical Biochemistry
  • Medical Laboratory Technology

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Diagnostic value of imprint cytology during image-guided core biopsy in improving breast health care'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this