Apolipoprotein B-48 is the product of a messenger RNA with an organ-specific in-frame stop codon

San Hwan Chen, Geetha Habib, Chao Yuh Yang, Zi Wei Gu, Bo Rong Lee, Shi Ai Weng, Steven R. Silberman, Sheng Jian Cai, J. P. Deslypere, Maryvonne Rosseneu, Antonio M. Gotto, Wen Hsiung Li, Lawrence Chan

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

504 Scopus citations

Abstract

The primary structure of human apolipoprotein (apo) B-48 has been deduced and shown by a combination of DNA excess hybridization, sequencing of tryptic peptides, cloned complementary DNAs, and intestinal messenger RNAs (mRNAs) to be the product of an intestinal mRNA with an in-frame UAA stop codon resulting from a C to U change in the codon CAA encoding Gln2153 in apoB-100 mRNA. The carboxyl terminal Ile2152 of apoB-48 purified from chylous ascites fluid has apparently been cleaved from the initial translation product, leaving Met2151 as the new carboxyl terminus. These data indicate that ~85% of the intestinal mRNAs terminate within ~0.1 to 1.0 kilobase downstream from the stop codon. The other ~15% have lenghts similar to hepatic apoB-100 mRNA even though they have the same in-frame stop codon. The organ-specific introduction of a stop codon to a mRNA appears unprecedented and might have implications for cryptic polyadenylation signal recognition and RNA processing.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)363-366
Number of pages4
JournalScience
Volume238
Issue number4825
DOIs
StatePublished - 1987

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • General

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Apolipoprotein B-48 is the product of a messenger RNA with an organ-specific in-frame stop codon'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this